Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cabinet painting project

Here are the pictures from our latest "big" home improvement project: the kitchen. The first picture is from the day we moved in, and the second shows how it looked once Paul installed our new appliances (which work great, especially when compared with their 20+ year old counterparts). We have been putting off having our wood floors installed until we could find the time to paint our cabinets, since we knew it would turn our kitchen area into a complete disaster area, I mean, "construction" zone. :-) We decided to spend our spring break working on this so that we could have adequate time to complete it without other responsibilities vying for our attention. We started immediately on Saturday and spent 6 days total to clean, sand, prime, paint and polyurethane both the insides of the cabinets as well as all the doors. After that was all said and done, we put on the finishing touches, which was the hardware. We worked straight through every day, averaging 12 hour days. At one point I was so sore from all the physical labor that I didn't think I would be able to even get out of bed the next day! To some it may not seem to be a very enjoyable way to spend spring break, but I actually enjoyed it more than I anticipated. I got to spend that time entirely with Paul, we worked great as a team and we both can enjoy our kitchen so much more now, especially since we put in the hard work. Aside from the appliances, we only spent about $100 for the paint, supplies and hardware and it made such a drastic change! Our next plan for the kitchen is to make a kitchen island by hitting up our local restoration yard and re-doing some gem we find there. That project may be a few months away, but I am already planning it, so stay tuned!